The White Place: Holiness, Grief and Love

Back in 2015 I was planning a trip to Ghost Ranch, outside of Abiquiu, New Mexico, to attend a John Philip Newell conference.  Before I left, I met with two friends: Suzi my therapist and Patti.  Patti had stage 4 metastasized breast cancer and, as sometime happens when people face their own death, had moved to a deeper level of living and wisdom. Patti and Suzi told me I must visit the White Place and the Black Place, two places Georgia O’Keeffe painted.  (More on the Black Place later.)
I went to the White Place, which is just outside of Abiquiu, before I began my Ghost Ranch conference. The White Place is on some property owned by a Mosque. It is a unique rock formation consisting of white limestone columns jutting up in the sky.  The Indigenous People had gathered there for centuries for religious ceremonies. Ghost Ranch often brought groups out to spend the day simply being in the space.
            When I arrived at the White Place, I sensed the holiness and sacredness of the place.  It was a holiness that surrounded me and moved through me. I walked down to the white columns and placed my hand on one of the white walls to feel the energy of the rock.  I felt this deep sense of holiness, but also experienced a deep grief, a grief so strong I wanted to get in my car and leave.  Something deeper called me to be present and stay in this holiness and grief. 
            I knew this deep grief was coming from the Earth. It was more than Los Alamos which was nearby or the fracking for oil. The Earth grieved the deep disconnect between humans and the Earth, the way humans treated the Earth as a commodity to be used for their own benefit. The Earth also grieved the deep disconnect we humans have with one another and other species.  These disconnections were leading to the destruction of life on the Earth. Many living species were becoming extinct.  And the Earth grieved.
            Holiness.  Grief. Then love.  I experienced love like I had never known before.  A love that could hold both that holiness and that grief as one. “This is what life is,” I was being told.  The spiritual journey will always encompass these three elements: holiness, grief, and love.
            I had never experienced such strong emotions by placing my hand on a rock formation. I later told John Philip Newell about my experience.  He shared “Yes, the Earth is grieving. Yes, the Earth is holy. Yes, love permeates it all. And yes, you can hear it if you will but listen.”
I had heard. I knew it. I felt it.  I knew this would be my way forward – into that love, that holiness, and that grief.  I was called to know it in the depth of my being, my very soul. I was called to speak of this holiness, grief, and love.  I was called to let others know of what the Earth had shared at the White Place.  I told a few. I shared the story in some sermons, retreat talks, and conferences.  But now is the invitation to speak as loudly as I can, not only in this blog but in all means available to me.  The Earth is holy.  The Earth is grieving.  The Earth surrounds us with love.  Listen.  Touch the Earth, touch the Trees, touch the Rocks.  Listen.  Listen some more.  Life awaits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Promise to the Ants

Playing in Syria

R.I.P. My Friend, the Thistle